Recently I stumbled upon a SharePoint 2010 environment setup a long time ago where the managed accounts and accounts in general were setup a little funny… in particular the issue was that the profile service stopped syncing. I asked the administrator what the issue was and they stated that they’d setup the system to use a managed account for the farm service account and other service application service accounts to automatically change the password in the background. That’s all fine and dandy for the most part, ‘cept that there are caveats with the Farm Account. And low and behold, I checked and sure enough the system’s Farm account was setup now as a Managed Account in our trusty, friendly SharePoint 2010 instance.
Issue – the profile synchronization service runs as this service account. Caveat, profile sync requires that you enter the account information and credentials since you may not necessarily be sync’ing with the Active Directory resource forest that your SharePoint system leverages as its Windows Networking Infrastructure platform.
So how did we attempt to remedy this… not knowing the Farm password, it was updated in Active Directory and then using Set-SPManagedAccount with the -UseExistingPassword argument, the password was properly updated. It was then synchronized across the farm with Repair-SPManagedAccountDeployment.
So SharePoint should now be up and operational with the managed account password updated, but we also have to go and update the synchronization connection with the new password. All should be working and fine, crisis averted, just have to go in Central Admin and make the update there… But, what I thought would be a five minute fix… well, yeah, not so much.
Hello 503 error.
Oddly, after all of the troubleshooting it ended up being the bitness setting for the Application Pool that operates SharePoint was modified to operate in x86 emulation mode. This comes in handy when you need to run two different compilations of a DLL through IIS, but with our native 64 bit SharePoint application, this doesn’t work so well. Why does this happen though? Not certain but it would seem that several folks seem to have this problem when they’ve been running their SharePoint system with managed accounts automatically updating and then reverting back to an “unmanaged mode” so to speak where the metabase becomes corrupt and suddenly the fitness for x86 emulation is set to true.
More on running in both x86 and x64 mode is available here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rakkimk/archive/2007/11/03/iis7-running-32-bit-and-64-bit-asp-net-versions-at-the-same-time-on-different-worker-processes.aspx
So if I want to avert this, I can force the Application Pool to start in 64bit mode by adding a “bitness64” flag… this is done in the ApplicationHost.config located in
Within the Global Modules section of the ApplicationHost.config, you should search for the SharePoint14Module which should look something like this:
If you want to force your App Pool to always start without x86 emulation… then you’ll want to add the following argument of “bitness64” so that you end up with something like this:
Note you’ll have to do this for each of the Web Applications that are registered – if you choose to make this modification.
And just like that… I start the application pool and all is well. Went and updated the synchronization connection and our UPS started syncing again. Qed.
More on ApplicationHost.config available here: http://learn.iis.net/page.aspx/124/introduction-to-applicationhostconfig/